I played through the main quest last year and I really enjoyed it. This is probably only the second RPG that I really liked after Pool of Radiance.
The things that got me hooked were
- the rousing music at the start screen
- the great voice acting, e.g. use of Patrick Stewart as the voice of Emperor Uriel Septim VII
- the fantastic graphics
- the great story of the main quest
- the easiness of the game (thank God for the console!)
I played through the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild shortly after finishing the main quest. Recently I’ve fired up the game again to finish the Dark Brotherhood quests and an now playing through the Thieves Guild.
I’d forgotten a couple things that I used the first time round, I’ve re-learnt them (and a couple of new things) and am posting them here 1) to remind myself and 2) on the off-chance that it might be helpful to someone.
Please note that I’m playing on the PC version so most of the hints rely on the use of the console.
1) the UESPWiki
This site probably contains all the info you need on Oblivion and on the Elder Scrolls generally.
2) the Thieves Guild
I hated the need to fence goods. The best place to go is Drakelowe which has a basement with lots of potions. Sell them and you’d pretty much have met the requirement for the entire Thieves Guild quests.
3) the Console
You can read more about the console here. My favorite commands are:
- tgm – toggles God mode
- tai – toggles AI on and off
- movetoqt – moves you to where you need to be for the current quest
- kill – click on the target and type this in, for when you can’t be bothered to hack someone to death
- coc testinghall – it’s like the loading screen in the Matrix, all the weapons you want are here