Backlogs everywhere, in all aspects of my life, feeling clogged up… 😦
Anyway, managed to tick one item off, the game Indigo Prophecy (know as Fahrenheit outside of the US).
The game itself blends new age philosophy. the Matrix, “motion” controls and bugs into an interesting mix.
I don’t really want to spoil it too much, you can see the Wikipedia entry if you want spoilers! 😉
When you think about it, it’s pretty sad that a lot of stories have the AI/Matrix “feel”. Even the new Dune stories written by Frank Herbert’s son has an A.I. antagonist. And the theme song to Caprica has hints of the Terminator tune. 😦
Nevertheless, it’s worth playing if only to see the predecessor to Heavy Rain (PS3).
Now onto the practical help section.
If you happen to be running Win 7 you’ll probably have issues running the game. To save you the heartache I went through, here’s what helped me to get it running. It took me hours of Googling, so hopefully now you won’t have to! 😉
GameSpot – this ought to get you running
Patch to 1.1 – this will enable you to patch to the latest version of the game
NoCD exe – and this will save you from having to swap discs (which didn’t quite work for me in any case!)
Was reading a news article about Nintendo’s 3DS’s line-up.
The launch titles are
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D from Nintendo
- Nintendogs + Cats from Nintendo
- Pilotwings Resort (working title) from Nintendo
- Pro Baseball Spirits from Konami
- Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle from Level 5
- Ridge Racer 3D from Namco Bandai
- Samurai Warriors Chronicle from Tecmo Koei
- Steel Diver from Nintendo
- Super Monkey Ball (working title) from Sega
- Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition from Capcom
And the games scheduled for the later half of 2011 are
- Chocobo Racing 3D from Square Enix
- Star Fox 64 3D from Nintendo
- Animal Crossing from Nintendo
- Dead or Alive: Dimensions from Tecmo Koei
- Paper Mario (working title) from Nintendo
- Mario Kart (working title) from Nintendo
- Resident Evil: Revelations from Capcom
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D from Capcom
Notice anything about those titles? They are a litany of disappointments…
So many of them are merely 3-D versions of existing 2-D games. I know that it takes time before people fully exploit a platform but I don’t see even 1 game that takes advantage of 3D to make a brand new type of game. I might think that I’m harsh on Nintendo but you have to remember that they had Virtual Boy back in 1995 so one would think that they would have had 1 original idea for a 3D game in 15 years…
Even worse is that some of the Nintendo sourced games are remakes from a previous generation of consoles (i.e. the N64)! C’mon, don’t you have any cool games from the current generation that you’d like to showcase your new portable console with? Remember that Nintendo sourced games are usually the strongest titles for their platform.
The only two games that interest me in the above are non-Nintendo sourced games. Professor Layton and Resident Evil:Revelations, the latter only because I’m a huge RE fan and the former because I like puzzles (not sure they’re going to exploit the 3D nature of the platform though).